Undecided

I'm blogging on Vox right now. It will probably stay my personal blog. Keeping this one for something. Just not sure what.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Orem, Utah, United States

Silly, odd, weird, bibliophile with delusions of grandeur. One of the lunatics at large.

Monday, June 19, 2006

Robert Carter-Something to think on

While over at Mom's today I stumbled on an anthology of essays. In thumbing through it I came across an essay entitled The Anti-Jefferson (Levy, Andrew. American Scholar. Spring 2001) The author has now written a book on the subject. What is the subject you ask? Well one Robert Carter III who soon after the Revolutionary War freed all his slaves. In fact it was the largest emancipation by a single person in the antebellum South, over 450 slaves. The title of the article comes from the fact that Carter lacked the luster of Jefferson, but in the end was more committed to the idea that freedom should be universally applied. It was an interesting read into why what a seemingly great act has largely been forgotten. I'm compelled to read the book now.

I'm really not sure why I'm posting about this. It's just a "hey look at what I found cool" I guess.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jase, it's Kel stopping in to say HI!!!! I probably should have posted this under the picture, but that's lovely--much better than my view :]

Miss you. I'll email soon :]

8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home