Undecided

I'm blogging on Vox right now. It will probably stay my personal blog. Keeping this one for something. Just not sure what.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Orem, Utah, United States

Silly, odd, weird, bibliophile with delusions of grandeur. One of the lunatics at large.

Friday, June 30, 2006

Harper Lee, writing, and the art of being lazy.

Here I go again traipsing down the electronic highway find ever more bits to fill my head with. On a blog called Wild-Mind I came across this quote by Harper Lee:

You know, many writers really don't like to write. I think this the chief complaint of so many. They hate to write; they do it under the compulsion that makes any artist the victim he is, but they loathe the process of sitting down trying to turn thoughts into reasonable sentences.

I thought hey that's me. I feel this great urge to write and create but then when I'm in front of the computer I can't seem to force myself to flesh out the ideas spinning around. I went to the interview that this quote comes from and found a couple others that apply to me:

It takes time and patience and effort to turn out a work of art, and few people seem willing to go all the way.

Well, the first advice I would give is this: hope for the best and expect nothing. Then you won't be disappointed. You must come to terms with yourself about your writing. You must not write "for" something; you must not write with definite hopes of reward.

It takes work. Work that may well go unrewarded. BUT...BUT I WANT REWARDS!! So hard to let that go. I do know I feel better when I write, even if it is this silly blog. Is that a reward? Probably but I'm taking it.

1 Comments:

Blogger uskebasi said...

So i'm looking for a movie to include with my new post, and i think of "Brazil". As i'm finishing posting, i get a mail with your pleasing comment. So i look at your profile, and "Brazil" is in your favorite movies. So is "Love & Death" - i borrowed it to a friend of mine just yesterday. And last week a Coen-brothers-fest was held in my home: "Coen movie a day makes... something".
Anyway, i like your taste in movies, and you turn up a pretty humorous blog. Thanks for the comment.

6:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home